Winter is coming, and with it brings rain, the dreaded freeze-thaw cycle and if you’re unlucky enough, snow as well. Cleaning your asphalt driveway is essential in maintaining it, particularly over these winter months. Daily traffic oils and petroleum products can lead to stains, and whether you walk or use a vehicle, the driveway can often become neglected. However, there are some simple and easy to follow tips and tricks to cleaning your asphalt driveway.
1. Sweep it up:
The first step is to give a thorough sweep of your driveway, making sure to get into all the nooks and cracks.
2. Get creative
Using a household dish detergent and a hard wire bristle brush to scrub problem areas could be all you need in order to clean up your driveway; however for the more unruly stains there are some tricks you can use:
- Pressure water: For those who don’t like the thought of chemicals, this can be a great solution to cleaning up your driveway, pushing dirt and debris out of the asphalt.
- Full strength bleach: For more stubborn marks and stains, using full strength bleach and a stiff bristle brush can clear up your asphalt drive. However make sure to use proper precaution such as rubber gloves and safety glasses.
- Baking Soda: For those on a budget, baking soda can be a great way to remove stubborn stains.
- Coca Cola: Strange as it sounds, this fizzy beverage can work wonders on driveway maintenance. Simply pour it on, leave overnight and wash away the next day.
- For those who have spilled oil or other stainable liquid, try to clean up as much as you can before sprinkling cat litter or sawdust to absorb the rest overnight. Come morning, you should notice a difference!
3. Wash away
Washing away the final bits with water should put the finishing touches on your driveway, leaving it clean and maintaining its condition.
So with the winter months approaching fast, there’s no need to wait until summer to give your driveway a quick spruce up! More details on drive way maintenance, can be found here.
Currently rated by 0 people